Sunday, February 27, 2011

Exclusive Interview with Emperor Xuantong

Question: Do you know why you were emperor at such a young age?
Answer: Well, in the time i was throned, the dynasty was in trouble, due to Westerners. The country was ruled by Dowager Empress Cixi, who had imprisoned the nominal emperor, Guangxu, for conspiring against her. Before she died she named me to succeed her because I was the son of the imprisoned emperor's brother. Also because I was to make sure Guangxu didn't interfere in her plans, it is said, she had him poisoned.

Question: Do you think you were ready/qualified to become the emperor?
Answer: Well, first, i was almost 3, and second throughout my learning experience when I got older, even though I did not rule, I had an uneven education. I studied classics, history and poetry, but no math, geography or science. I know 2 languages, Chinese and Manchu.

Question: How come you were over throned so fast?
Answer: Well, I remember a man named Zhang Xun came with an army and surrounded Peking. After that I was still emperor, but a few days later, three bombs were dropped in the Forbidden city. That was the first  air raid in Chinese history.

Question: Do you think it is disappointing that you are the last emperor of China?
Answer: Yes I do, because it shows that I failed and after me there was no ruler.

Question: Why were you imprisoned in Shenyang till 1959?
Answer: Well, I fled the Empire and came back in 1950, then was put into a prison camp because I was in house arrest when I was staying with my family. Then I was released 9 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment